Local, state and federal lawmakers have there eyes focused on Southern Maryland with millions to get the future Southern Maryland Rapid Transit Project on track and moving forward. A transit network that stretches from Elkton to Frederick and from Waldorf to Towson.
Southern Maryland Light Rail:
From the Branch Avenue Metro station to Waldorf and White Plains in Charles County. YES!!!
What does this mean for southern Marylanders?
- Improves traffic safety and enhances quality of life for residents, commuters, and workers.
- Expands the regional transit network by creating a robust link into Southern Maryland.
- Reduces future traffic congestion in the most congested arterial highway in the State and benefits air quality.
- Provides a sustainable transportation alternative in an auto-dependent corridor.
- Implements local and regional multi-modal transportation plans.
- Links planned and developing Transit Oriented Developments through context sensitive stations along the corridor.
- Increases economic competitiveness in the corridor.
- Provides timely transportation choices to underserved and transit dependent communities.
- Future Ready for Automated Vehicle(AV) or other advanced technologies.
- Increases travel capacity in a corridor with limited highway expansion options.
Source (WTOP/John Domen): https://wtop.com/charles-county/2022/05/light-rail-to-southern-maryland-that-choo-choo-train-will-be-rolling-soon